Pages

Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Dog Park

Yesterday was quite the busy day for me and the Dillys
The other day driving to work I discovered an off leash dog park-not too far from my office.I was SO excited! The Dilly's definitely do get more exercise here then they did at the house, but they don't get a whole lot of dog socialization.
When Chris and I were living in Pleasant Grove-there were a lot of people around in our neighborhood that would get together pretty much everyday and hang out. Zira LOVED it- the park where we all met was right outside our place and Zira would always run to the window to see if everyone was out there. It was really sad leaving all her friends behind and I have been so sad that we cant seem to find anyone here who has dogs that can play with Nico and Zira. Well..... yesterday we decided to go check out the park. I was really nervous because they haven't had a lot of dog socialization in a while and so I was worried when I pulled up and saw all the really big dogs hanging around the gate. When we got out of the car they were of course frantic- new places are always challenging. I got them on their leashes and through the gates into the fenced area. Instantly we got swarmed by a few big dogs (including a great dane and a boxer which Zira usually hates) I was so surprised that they did just fine! No barking, no growling nothing! I kept them on the leash and walked one lap around the park just to get used to things. I was scared that the second I took their leashes off they would be out of there and I would never be able to catch them again! So I finally decided to take their leashes off- at first they just stood there staring at me- like they knew it wasn't supposed to be like this.
Nico paused for a minute then ran off after a big group of dogs playing with a ball and Zira started running around on the grass. I felt like such a proud mother my children were out socializing and weren't the worst behaved there!
We ended up staying for over 2 hours. By the time we left most of the other dogs had gone too and when we got home it was all they could do to get to their beds and pass out. A successful outing- I can't wait to go there again!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

that's so good! With Maddy I always worry about her being attacked by bigger dogs. I would have been really nervous too- I'm glad it was a good experience!

Stephanie said...

umm the last two posts mentioned photos of the new place... where??? I can't wait to see it!

The SoCal Jones' said...

glad the puppies had fun!