Pages

Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Amish Friendship Bread

So if you haven't heard about this, its really good. I got my first start about 3 weeks ago from one of my students. Its kind of a crazy concept though because you can't make it unless you get a start from someone else.
Basically, when someone else makes the bread they have to take out 3 cups of their batter and put them into three different bags and then keep one cup of the batter for themselves. The other 3 bags they give away to their friends. I don't really understand it because there seems to be no way to make it unless you get the start from someone.
Once you do finally get your hands on a start it takes 10 days to make it! It sits on your counter for 10 days, everyday you squeeze it and let the air out, on the 6 day you add flour, sugar and milk and let it sit for another 4 days. It's just hilarious to me, but its some good bread!
Chris and our roommate made fun of me the whole 10 days wondering wheather it would be worth the wait. They've practically devoured the whole thing!
Its really good and if anyone wants a start, there seems to be a big supply at the school because everyone keeps exchanging them with eachother! And, if you ever get the chance to make it, it's definately worth the wait!

1 comments:

Gilly Funk said...

I just made this a few weeks ago. I still have one start sitting here that I haven't made. Do you think it's still good, it's been over a week?
And just so you know, someone told me that you could bake it up on day one if you really want to. They said it's more of the tradition waiting the 10 days.