Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

thinking back

I was just laughing about this the other day while I was working on cleaning out a filing cabinet we had in our office. I realized it would not be practical for us to take the cabinet to Colorado so I needed to go through and clean it out as much as possible. While cleaning it I came across an unlabeled hanging folder with several envelopes in it. I pulled them all out and quickly realized what they were.
Chris and I did not have a long engagement. Right after we got engaged we decided on a date August 16th (I don't really know what that day and originally I don't know why it didn't work out) After one reason or another (I think some one in the Egbert family wasn't going to be able to make it) We changed the date but only after we had already made the date with the Temple and received our "confirmation of the date and time letter" in the mail. After the 16th wasn't going to work we changed it to the August 11th. We changed the date with the Temple without consulting anyone in thinking "It's our day they will make it for us". Soon after we had made this decision we brought up the date with my family. My dad (who is always easy going about everything) immediately said no to the date because it was the Mulligan (translation- 3 day golf tournament EVERY year at the country club- big deal. If you miss a year you get put down at the bottom of the waiting list and sometimes end up waiting several years to get back in the rotation to play again) My dad was not going to budge about missing the Mulligan but finally offered that it would be ok, he would just have to wait a few years. Of course knowing how much it meant to my dad we changed the date again. (My dad lives for summer golf especially the Mulligan how could I take that away from him? And when that certain someone is paying you are kind of obligated to please them at least a little right?) August 4th.... nope that didn't work either. July 31st... nope someone was on vacation. July 28th... finally we came across a day that worked for everyone and everyone was happy... Until we were thrown through a loop when our reception center told us we could get a substantial discount if we opted for a weekday- specifically Wednesday July 26th. So once again we called the Temple and changed our date.
I was laughing while cleaning out that folder and looking at each of the letters we had received and for some odd reason why after 5 years I had kept them all. It gave me quite a good laugh because I had completely forgotten the mayhem of all the date changing and rearranging that was being done clear up until the first of June it was only a matter of days that we had finalized the date before invitations were sent.
It made me laugh especially since this week was the Mulligan and my dad of course played and had a great time. So thanks to Dad, every year during the Mulligan we all have a little laugh about when life stands still for everyone because Dad is at the Mulligan.

0 comments: